Thursday, September 18, 2014

Free Falling

I'm kinda obsessed with all things fall. I'm so obsessed that the fact that it has been 99 degrees in this southwest desert has me upset because I am ready to dress for fall in my boots, jeans and cardigans. I'm on my third bag of candy corn, have eaten half a dozen pumpkin cookies in 2 days and have been using my Vanilla suede Scentsy. I am craving comfort food and have been pinning soup recipes. I have to resist the urge to "drive down the hill" to Hurricane to get mocha's. I am thrilled that football season is here but sad that I can't wear my new Denver Broncos hoodie yet.
 
So I decided yesterday that I would help my mood by putting up some fall décor. Halloween is my favorite holiday and I go all out. My décor has a base that can transition from fall to Halloween and then through Thanksgiving.
 
I started out my planning technically last Sunday when I drug the three kids, the dog and my husband down to the river to "help me" (Him do all the hard work) cut down some branches. We had fun though and all came home with horrible allergies but made it back in time to watch kickoff for the Broncos game! (We won too!)
 
First thing I did was get this old plastic pumpkin and give it a facelift. The light cord is long gone and it's cracked but I wiped it down and repainted it. I wanted to make it work for fall/Halloween/thanksgiving so I painted the back with fresh white. I wanted it to look handpainted and imperfect. Then I sprayed it with a clear finish. 
 
Front Before
 
You'll have to wait until Halloween to see the after of this side...
 
Back Before
 and after
I'm still working on the vignette that this will live on so I don't have it displayed yet.
 
We are also big Utah Utes fans. I made this wreath x3 last year. One for my Utes crazed in-laws and the other for our good friends.
 
 
So this is the porch before. It was clean and simple after our move in I had no motivation to do much!
 
This is what I did to the branches we got. I stuck them in these big pots that still had soil from last year at our old house. Then I hot glued the fake leaves and attached the glitter pumpkins and leaves from cheap garlands I bought at Target last year for a buck! I also wired on the black birds and owls figuring they can be fall-ish not just Halloweeny. I plopped my plastic jack-o-lanterns in backwards and put some of these cheap dollar store flower sprays in the dirt. I also secured them to the columns with fishing line because it get really windy here in the fall.
 
 
To these planters I just added some fake pumpkins and some scarecrows to the plants that are still hanging on for dear life. I have plans to change it all up for Halloween soon! 
 
 
I still have some fine tuning to do.. I don't love how the garland around the door looks so I'll fix that this weekend. I love it so far though!
 
 I promise there is not enough treats dog nor kid, in the world that could get those two to sit and pose like that, they did this all by themselves!! It is pretty darn cute though!


 
 
From Piper, Parker, & I Thank you for stopping by!







No comments:

Post a Comment